Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cutting Back On YouTube Videos

This Friday is my one year anniversary with YouTube. Actually, I didn't really start posting until late September with original content. A year is a nice marker to reassess what has happened and what I'll be doing.

I'll be cutting back on the number of YouTube videos I'll be doing. The bottom line is that the number of views don't represent but a third of the people subscribed to me. This number hasn't changed. It shows that most of my subs are there not because they enjoy what I do but because someone with more subs has shouted me out and they sub from some sort of obligation. For that I am very appreciative.

But the views for someone with 1,300 subscribers should be 1,300 or above! That's what successful YouTubing looks like.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill-
Everyone must do what's right for them and I would be the last person to suggest that you should be chained to a studio, cranking out youtube videos. :)
Even tho I have just been watching your videos for the last month or so. (My awareness of youtube and the youtube community as anything more than a) a place to host my 10 yr old's videos and b) where i could find all the old Marx Brothers movies and rare scenes from plays and old movies is just a few months old), I have thoroughly enjoyed them. Lots of great laughs.
Of the 1300 subscribers you have, how many are names that are inactive?
It could be that you have a constant stream of new people, it might not match the attrition rate but...
Anyway, thank you for doing what you do, you are one of the people who have inspired me in my own small efforts
Gary

Barry Aldridge said...

Hey Bill

Its really interesting that I know youtubers who have 5000 subscribers and they are only getting like 1000 views on average per video. I agree with Lamarr that it is a norm that most people only get half of their subs watching their videos at best.

I can understand if you want to cut back on Youtube videos and no one is forcing you to make videos.

I may do one more video in the next week then take a break for 6 weeks.

Dave Williams said...

I've always enjoyed your videos Bill, but I don't blame you wanting to cut back. To be honest, I don't know how you have kept up the pace these past twelve months. Your output has been truly amazing.

I find myself agreeing with what both Lamarr and Barry say. While I'm not in the same league as you, subscriber wise, I see a similar subcriber / views ratio. So I don't think it's anything to worry about.

On the subject of cutting back, my own philosphy is to just let things happen, if the idea doesn't work out today, leave it for another day. More importantly though; Enjoy what you do. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.

Good luck in all you do, and thanks again for sharing your creativity with us.

Dave Williams - MrNeelix690