Friday, August 28, 2009

YouTube's Great Community

I recently put a mission statement on my YouTube channel.
Mission Statement: To be funny, creative and encouraging to all who post.
That pretty much is why I'm here. I like to think about the people I've met and how this happened. I'll try to explain.

One day I just started posting videos. I can't tell you who my first subscriber was, but I can tell you that I remember hitting seven and being amazed. Then I started getting to know people and really caring about them. Now, I've been all over YouTube and I can attest that there IS an underbelly of the beast.

My question is this. How did I get so many nice and kind people? Every now and again I'll get the occasional "turd in the punch bowl" but that has not been my experience in general. And, I do have friends that pretend to be asses and I know they're really not. (Actually, I can only think of one example) They act that way to keep people from taking advantage of them.

I was watching a SITC (Summer In The City) gathering video and the lady was saying that she didn't know who most of these people were. I'm here at home screaming their names. "Don't you know? That's Pixonu or Conawillvlog!" lol
YouTube is like a city. But the most important thing that it does is to allow people to be who they really are or to try being someone else without judgment.

I know the internet gets a bad rap for being dangerous. But, people need to know that it can also be an incredible place.

3 comments:

Barry Aldridge said...

Good entry as usual Bill.

Gary C said...

Great post, I hope my new video doesn't kill your inspiration and good nature x x x

Bill said...

Are you joking? Gary and Cheeky, your videos make my day! And seeing all of my friends on Stickaid 2009 was beyond epic.